Friday, March 30, 2012

Fearless Females: Words of Wisdom

Today's blogging prompt comes from Lisa Alzo,  The Accidental Genealogist:  Did you receive any advice or words of wisdom from your mother or another female ancestor?

My mother was a one-man woman  She met and married my father in Pensacola, Florida, where he was a young Naval aviator, not long out of Annapolis, undergoing flight training at Pensacola Naval Air Station.  They were together until he died in 1954.  She never remarried.

Like my mother, I am a one-man woman, and I found the man I wanted to spend the rest of my life with when I was in college.  And he was right in my own backyard - we had known each other since the age of seven, and attended the same church, though we went to different schools due to the drawing of boundary lines for each school in our district.  In high school, we were best friends.

But courtship is not always smooth, and there was a time when we agreed not to see each other.  That was a stressful time for me, and I felt very low at the time.

Then my aunt, who had never married, gave me some words of wisdom.  She told me that if he really loved me, he would return.  He did, and we were married in 1971, and have been together ever since.
.

No comments: