Saturday, March 17, 2018

#TheBookofMe: What (or who) do you miss most?

The question reminds me of the old saw: "Of everything I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Well, I haven't lost my mind.  Yet.

I have lost so many people in my lifetime -- my father, my grandma, my aunt, my mother, my brother, friends -- that I miss them all, and don't want to single out just one of them.

I miss my health; it has pretty much gone away, though I still get around.  I don't get around as much as I used to, of course.  We all suffer from that.  But just walking a couple blocks this week in the Adams-Morgan neighborhood of Washington, D.C., where our nephew lives, was a real challenge.  I also did a lot of standing around, and a lot of sitting.  I went up to Washington for the launch of the website of the huge Spanish Colonial Florida database project I've been contributing to.  It was a wonderful launch, and a bunch of us went out to eat afterward, and had big fun.

I miss a lot of people less than I used to, because I'm back in touch with them on Facebook.  I'm especially happy to be in touch with my cousins, though we lost one of our number a couple years ago. 

I miss the ability to travel more and be more adaptable to different environments.  No more camping or hiking, or even taking long walks, because of arthritis.

I miss mountains, because I live in Florida.  I was born in California, and lived there as a child.  I like mountains. 

I miss our boat, because we had such fun with it.  We even were members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary for a few years, and used our boat in a number of search and rescue missions, patrols, and training exercises.  That was terrific fun!

I'm not sure there's much more I miss.  I have so much now.  My husband, our kids, our grandson, our kitty-cat, my historical research.  I stay occupied, so I don't have time to think about what I miss enough to be in any way despondent about it.


No comments: