Friday, March 23, 2018

#TheBookofMe Who do you love?

Shouldn't that be Whom Do You Love?  Anyway . . .

My husband, of course.  Have done for 47 years, and we just keep on keeping on.  We've known each other since childhood, were best buds in high school, though we went to different schools (same church, though).  So on it goes.  He enjoys my adventures in academia.  I keep him entertained.  He takes good care of me, and certainly did last year when I broke my shoulder!  He got to be quite the cook, and made some delicious meals!

Our daughters, of course, too (we have no sons).  Both are fine ladies.  Now middle-aged, which makes me feel a bit old.  But I also feel young in having so much in common with each of them.  They're fun to be with.

Our son-in-law, who is a fine fellow.  He and our daughter have also known each other from childhood, having met at a party given by the sysop (do you remember that term?) of a BBS (and that one?) we all used to participate in.  Our son-in-law has been there for our older daughter since before they were married, and certainly does love her.  He's brought some genealogical diversity to the family, adding German and Dutch to the mix!

Our grandson, of course, too.  He's a great kid.  Now in junior high school.  I can't believe he's 13!  Gads, what an age.  But he'll get over it.  We all did.  He wants to be an architect or an engineer.  Following in family footsteps, he's quite the punster, and has been since the age of 5.  He is also quite the flirt, and the girls just love him.

Our cat.  Well, technically (grammatically) the cat isn't a 'who,' she's a 'what.'  But my husband and I love and spoil her, anyway.  She's a very affectionate cat, who likes to sleep with us and to be with (or on) us on the couch when we watch TV.  She is not quite 2, and is still energetic.  Sometimes she runs around the house at great speed.  She loves to hide and then jump out at us, or come up behind is in the kitchen and tap us on the rear end!  Silly kitty!

My friends.  All of our friends, with very few exceptions, are younger than we are, and most of them have no kids.  Our daughters are also friends with most of these same people.  We have a quite diverse group of friends.  That adds to the enjoyment.

The youngsters I work with on a massive database project, to identify and profile everyone we can find in the original documents, who lived in Spanish colonial Florida between 1513 and 1763, and 1784 and 1821.  I'm the Principal Investigator of the portion known as East Florida between 1784 and 1821.  All these colleagues are younger than I am, some of them by some 50 or so years!  The head of the project, who was my major professor at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg a few years ago, is also quite a bit younger than I am.  Fine people, all of them!

Others I have loved are no longer with us -- most of my family, my husband's family, friends I've lost over the years.  I still love them, too, and miss them.


No comments: