Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Going Electronic

I have a book coming out later this year, which examines sources relating to the colonial, territorial, and state censuses of Florida from 1784 to 1945, and their supplements and substitutes. The cover design is already done and you can see the announcement here: Non-Federal Censuses of Florida, 1784-1945. I really like the cover design they came up with.

More interesting news came today in the form of an e-mail from the publishing company, to the effect that right after being published in a nice trade paperback edition, my book will also be published in an electronic edition. Happily, my royalty rate will remain the same.

Technology hasn't been nice to me lately. A cell phone I recently received turned out to be a dog, and our connection to Comcast is acting up. But having my book come out in an electronic edition is intriguing. I do have to say that, being a former military officer and being married to a certified computer security professional, I tend to think in terms of security, and I wonder what sort of security measures the electronic edition will have. I was disturbed enough at seeing copies of my first book, which is still in print after nearly 13 years, being sold for ridiculous prices on eBay when it was available for much, much less directly from the publisher. I would be rather distressed if a "wild" electronic copy got out there under the Jolly Roger, so to speak.

Unfortunately, part of the wondrous technology we all benefit from these days is that there are some very bad people out there who will abuse the thing to an absurd extent. Dare I wish for a miracle that someday they might just surprise the whole world and grow up?

Nah. Too much to hope for.

But having another book coming out is enough for me. It's a great feeling.

1 comment:

Sue D said...

Wow, Karen that's great news, congratulations! I know what you mean about some people though, they never grow up! Don't let them dampen your joy! You should be ecstatic, most people never get one book published, never mind two. Way to go!