Wednesday, January 13, 2010

What a kick!

In science-fiction fandom, there is a word: "egoboo." It comes from the phrase "ego boost," and I just got one.

As I've mentioned, my book, Non-Federal Censuses of Florida, 1784-1945: A Guide to Sources, has just been published. Now, it certainly is a kick to hold in your hand a book that has your name on it as the author.

What really gets you jazzed is looking it up in a library catalog and seeing the entry. I must confess that it is possible that not everyone would get excited about that, but I am an ex-librarian, and I guess that makes a book catalog entry special to me. I just looked my book up in the catalogs of the Clay County Public Library and the library of the University of North Florida. Nice! Apparently, the Jacksonville Public Library hasn't cataloged their copy yet. I donated copies to each of these libraries.

I have to admit to feeling self-conscious about tooting my own horn, but in this business, you have to do some shameless self-promotion from time to time.

I just hope the great feeling I got from seeing my book in the catalogs of libraries won't be deflated in the next few months as reviews come out.

I'll let you know.
.

3 comments:

Bill West said...

Congratulations, Karen!
Looks like the great gods Xipcode and
Corflu have smiled upon you!

(yes, old sf/fantasy fandom person here)

Bill

Greta Koehl said...

Great to hear this! (Do you filksing, too?)

Karen Packard Rhodes said...

Greta -- I don't do much singing at all, except in the shower! (grin) I have a friend who, back in our fandom days, was quite a filker, and I have a few tapes and books of songs.

Ah, those were the days!