Saturday, March 6, 2010

Women's History Month: How Did They Meet?



I'm a little late with this, because I wanted to post my reaction to WDYTYA earlier; don't miss it, just before this entry.

The March 5 entry for Lisa Alzo's "Fearless Females" meme for this month is:

March 5 — How did they meet? You’ve documented marriages, now, go back a bit. Do you know the story of how your parents met? Your grandparents?

My mother told me a rather romantic story, eminently demonstrative of her own resourcefulness and determination, about how she and my father met. She grew up in Pensacola, home of the Pensacola Naval Air Station, which in turn is home to one of the Navy's flight schools. She and her friends would date officers, and one night at the Officer's Club at Pensacola Naval Air Station, she spied a young officer who had not long before reported aboard for flight training. She fixed her gaze on his handsome face and said to her companions, "That's the man I'm going to marry."



She was right. That's my father, Arden Packard, in the photo at left, above. This was his wedding picture, and I have this one and the one of my mother, Martha Shideler Reed, at right, framed, sitting on a bookcase. These look very much like they come from the 1930s, which they do. They were married 16 July 1937.

The story ends rather sadly, as they were only together for 16 years, as my father died 25 April 1954. My mother did not remarry.
.