Thursday, January 20, 2011

New Lineage Society in Town

I just saw on Up Front with NGS website that there is a new lineage society starting up: the Sons and Daughters of World War II Veterans.  It is being initiated by the Admiral Nimitz Foundation and the Nimitz Educational Fund, both organizations which memorialize Admiral Chester A. Nimitz.

I will send in my application as soon as possible!

My father graduated from the Naval Academy in 1934.  He was retired medically in February of 1941 but brought back to active duty in October of the same year.  He served mainly as a flight instructor at Jacksonville (Florida) Naval Air Station.

I looked at the application form.  I have all the documentation I need.  What floors me is that there are spaces for four generations of lineal descendants! 

Take a look to see if you would like to submit papers for this society:  http://www.sonsanddaughtersofww2veterans.org/index.asp.  When that page appears, there is a large button marked "Apply."  Next to it in smaller print, it says "read instructions."  Click that one, and find the information needed, including how to download a copy of the application, if you'd rather do it all by paper.  You can also apply online, and they accept digitized copies (scans) of required documents.

There is a fee for applying.  The fee is $125.  Right now, they are emphasizing their "charter" status, which asks for an additional contribution of $100.  It'll take me a few weeks, but that's what I'm going to do.  It's the least I can do. 

My husband and I are also charter supporters of the World War II Museum in New Orleans.  That began about a year ago, and we ordered plaques with our parents' names on them as memorials in the museum.  My father served, and my husband's father served a short stint in the Coast Guard and his mother worked in a local shipyard which built liberty ships. 

As the poet said, "Lest we forget."
.

No comments: