Saturday, September 24, 2011

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun - What does Spokeo know about me?

Saturday night once again, and time for Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun. Here is tonight's "assignment:"


I'm always on the lookout for websites that can find living people.  I read about Spokeo this week and thoguht that I would try it out.

Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to:

1)  Go to Spokeo - www.spokeo.com and put in your name (or any name). 

2)  See what Spokeo says about you.  Is it accurate? 

3)  Share what you want to share with us in a blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook, or in a Stream post on Google Plus.

I entered my name as "Karen Rhodes" and found that in Florida alone, there are 90 Karen Rhodeses.  I did not think there were that many of us!  In the Jacksonville area, including Clay County, there are three listed.

However, the information Spokeo has for me is, in the main, incorrect.

The address (only partial) they have for me is for a place we have not lived for nearly 20 years.  Both the street name and the town name are nearly 20 years out of date..  The family listing shows only one of our daughters, the younger one.  It does correctly identify me as a female in my mid-60s, and as being caucasian.

I also searched on my name as "Karen Packard Rhodes," and under that name, they have nothing.

How do I feel about this?  I think all this is none of their beeswax.  I am not happy that they are making money off of the facts of my life.  I should at least be getting a percentage!  And if the above information is incorrect, how much of what else they have or think they have -- for which they want to charge me for access -- is also incorrect?  Could any of that incorrect information damage me?  If it did, how would I know and how would I be able to recover damages?  Frankly, I do not like the whole setup.


What does Spokeo know about me?  Not much.  I would like to keep it that way.
.

No comments: