Sunday, November 13, 2011

Morning Tech Routine? What Morning Tech Routine?

From Geniaus comes the question, "What's your morning tech routine?"

My answer:  I do not do morning, and I despise routine!

I'm a night owl.  It is very difficult for me to get up in the morning.  (Raising right hand:)  I am not now, nor have I ever been, a morning person!

I'm not a fan of routine, either, but there are some things I do on a fairly regular basis.  I get up on the mornings I have classes, shower, eat breakfast and take my pills (a routine I refer to as "first breakfast" and "second breakfast"), get dressed, get my books, and go. 

As I spend so much time in class or in the university library, I pretty much keep my cell phone turned off.  I do not allow my life to be ruled by machines; I see the cell phone primarily as something with which I can communicate if an emergency should arise.  But at least once during the class day, and sometimes twice, I do check for messages.  At lunchtime, I call my husband.

I also take my lighter laptop to school with me, and in the library I will check on e-mail from my friends & family e-mail account, my "public" account, and my university e-mail.  We are actually required to check our university e-mail at least once a day.  I take care of any that is pressing, leaving the rest for when I get home.  Then I get down to studying.

When I get home in the evening, I take care of the rest of my e-mail, do whatever studying I can, or if it's the end of the week, I play games.

On days I do not go to class, I sleep in.  When I get up, I check e-mail, then get into whatever I need to be doing.

I do not use my cell phone at home.  We live out in the country, and at our house, we do not get a signal!

And that's as close as I come to a routine.
.

2 comments:

smj said...

Karen:

I really enjoy your blog. Wish you could have stayed in our ProGen group.

Suzie

Karen Packard Rhodes said...

Very kind of you to say so, and kind of you to take the time to comment. I, too, wish I could have finished, but I just had bitten off more than I could chew! Thanks again.