Monday, March 18, 2024

Military Monday -- a Deserter in the Family? Or a POW?

 I found out that my 2x great grandfather, John P. Taylor, deserted from Union forces on 24 December 1864, leaving his unit, Company I, 8th Tennessee Cavalry.

Deserted?  At the end of this file, which is his compiled service record, there is a form regarding prisoners of war.  Problem is, it doesn't mention him having been a prisoner of war.  The only comment is that he was formerly enrolled in Company K, 10th Tennessee Cavalry.  No date for the change of unit is given, but it may have been on the expiration of his original enlistment and the beginning of re-enlistment.  

On other pages, there are notations that he had not been paid for several months.  Having been through something similar as a Coast Guard reservist on special active duty, I can tell you it gets you pretty crazy when the bills keep coming in, there's little food in the house, and your pay is fouled up.  I, for one, would not blame him if that's why he deserted.  If he did.  Finally, there is in the file a notation dated about twenty years after the end of the Civil War that his charge of desertion had been removed by order of the Secretary of War.  Yes, indeed -- military efficiency!

When I have time, I'll have to order great-great grandpa Taylor's full service record.  I hope there will be more information that will answer this research question:  Did John P. Taylor desert, or was he a prisoner of war?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Taylor Week for both of us.

Jenny Hawran said...

Very good points to make about why he may have "deserted." I'm curious to see what you find!

Nancy Gilbride Casey said...

Be sure to give us the details when you get the answer!