Thursday, November 26, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving

I got my daily Geneabloggers newsletter, and in it, Thomas MacEntee said:

"As many genealogy bloggers are either traveling over the river and through the woods, or getting ready to host family, most of us will take some time and say thanks - either through a blog post, in a prayer, or perhaps aloud to our family and friends.

"I would like to thank all the readers of GeneaBloggers for helping to build a vibrant community of genealogy and family history bloggers. Whether engaged on Facebook, or Twitter or blog posts, it continues to amaze me what a great time it is to be a genealogist!

"GeneaBloggers will have its 500,000th visitor (yes, can you believe it?) sometime next week and I want to thank everyone for their support."

To that I say: Thomas, thank you! You got me into this, and I'm glad you did. You do a great job -- and it is a LOT of work, we can all see that -- with Geneabloggers. Thank you for all you do.

As for Thanksgiving, ours is a bit weird. My husband is up in Darien, Georgia, with his mother's people. I didn't make the trip this year, because it's fatiguing, and I am using this day to rest from the rigors of classes and child care, and do some studying and paper-writing. Our younger daughter, who lives with us, pulled a muscle at work yesterday, and is in her bed resting the affected leg and keeping it warm. She stepped wrong or something, and pulled a hamstring, probably. Not fun.

Our other daughter and her husband and son are at her mother-in-law's today, with that family, celebrating with a lot of good food, I'm sure!

So our family celebration will be Saturday. We're not doing it tomorrow because two sisters who live in the area, friends of the family, will be celebrating with us, and they have to work tomorrow, as does our hamstrung younger daughter. These two sisters are a pair of characters, and are always fun to have around. Their only local family is their father, who is slowly fading away under the influence of Alzheimer's, and is in a nursing home. They'll visit with him today, and celebrate with us Saturday.

A bit unorthodox, but we'll get the job done, even if a bit late.

And now for the list of what I'm thankful for:

My husband of nearly 39 years (next February), for his support and belief in me over the years.

My daughters, for being good hardworking people, each with a great sense of humor!

Enough to get by on without having to struggle too much.

The opportunity to go back to school and study some fascinating stuff!

Some great professors, who genuinely care about their students, and who give fascinating lectures.

Great, caring, active, funny friends.

Genealogy!


No comments: