Monday, December 11, 2023

Accenting the Positive

In an old song, we're urged to "accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, latch on to the affirmative, and don't mess with Mr. In-Between."

 As we approach the year-end period when we traditionally take stock, Jill Ball, blogging as GENIAUS, has posted an annual meme urging us to review the past twelve months of genealogy and "Accent the Positive".  Tip o' the hat to Jennifer Jones, who responded to Jill's challenge in her blog "Tracking Down the Family".  It was through Jennifer's post that I became aware of Jill's meme.

So here are my positives for the year.  One note: I've been experiencing increasing levels of stress over the past several years, from events outside and inside the family.  I'm in therapy.  One part of my therapy I have come up with and applied, as a means of inserting more positive perspectives, is to finally get back to investigating the family histories of myself and my husband, and to revive this poor neglected blog.  In this entry, I have left out many of the items Jill suggests we answer because they don't apply to me.  I've renumbered the remaining ones.

1. On revisiting some old research I found some wonderful information about my grandmother's third husband, and I finally identified her second husband.  Her first husband was my grandfather.

2. I was the recipient of genearosity from my cousin John, who lives near our ancestral stomping ground in Indiana, and who has offered to do research lookups for me.  I plan to take him up on that offer.

3.  I am pleased that I am a member of the General Society of Mayflower Descendants, in which I was voted membership last year, along with our older daughter.

4. I made a new DNA discovery, that my aunt (my mother's biological sister) had not been accurate when she maintained that their mother was adopted.  DNA shows that my connection to grandmother's family is intact, and that she was not adopted at all.  
 
5.  AI was a mystery to me but I learnt that I can do just about anything better than AI can at this stage of its development.  I am a thoroughgoing skeptic when it comes to AI;  I've read Karel Capek's R.U.R.  With two books under my belt, with glowing reviews for each, I know I am a better writer than any AI or computer genealogy program.  Believe it or not, you are, too.  We humans write our family histories from the heart.  AI has no heart.     

6. The best value I got for my genealogy dollars was the recent sale by the New England Historic Genealogical Society.  They gave good discounts on books about New England genealogy, where my paternal roots lie. 

7. I wouldn't be without this technology: The computer, what else?  And the internet.  I have done genealogy the old-fashioned way, and still do from time to time.  But as I have gotten older, and my options for travel and just getting out and about have become limited, I do appreciate having so much wonderful information available from reliable websites and databases. 
 
9. 
Another positive I would like to share is that genealogy is good therapy!  It makes you aware that you are not the only one who has suffered tragedies and hard times.  It assures us that we, too, can survive these times.  Seeing the thread of life down through the decades, and for some of us, the centuries, puts it all in perspective.
 

10 comments:

Jenny Hawran said...

I truly believe genealogy research is good for the soul. As you said, it connects you with your past and gives you an idea what your ancestors went through in their lives. Thanks for sharing your journey.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your responses the the Geneameme and agree that researching your family history is good therapy. It’s also helped me over the years to realise why I am the way I am. Thankyou for the shout out.

GeniAus said...

I was thrilled to see your response to the "Accentuate the Positive" challenge. So pleased you found it through Jennifer Jones.

Your positivity comes through in your post. Thanks for reminding me that our own writing "comes from the heart". I hadn't thought of genealogy as therapy but realise that, when I need a release from everyday life, I hop on the computer and go hunting for family.

Your readers are welcome to join the challenge - the prompts are here: https://geniaus.blogspot.com/2023/12/accentuate-positive-geneameme-2023.html

Cheers Jill aka GeniAus

Colleen said...

I agree that Genealogy is good Therapy.

Molly's Canopy said...

What a great list! Agree wholeheartedly about AI -- only WE can write about our families. With age, I also appreciate having so many documents online that were once only reachable through travel -- although it's not entirely as much fun as an old fashioned road trip. Hope your New Year goes as well!

Linda Stufflebean said...

Interesting that your aunt had stated that your grandmother was adopted. How did that bit of family lore come to be? I also believe that genealogy is excellent therapy. :)

Anne Young said...

I agree genealogy is very therapeutic.

I heartily concur that we are better at researching than AI - I recently reviewed the new tools at MyHeritage - my husband added his views - he is a harsh critic and said "... disgraceful fraud and an insult to the reader’s intelligence.

“Designed to mine scholarship and appropriate and re-shuffle commonplace opinion on historical matters, the AI squeezes out platitude upon platitude in turgid prose like a butcher making sausages, plop plop plop. The recipe is simple: find a plausible historical context for a person’s actions and announce, breathless with excitement at the discovery, that he had a place in it. In 1914 Joe Blow found himself caught up in one of the great historical upheavals of the twentieth century. He joined the Army. Mick O’Brien, short of spuds, emigrated to Australia in search of a better life, like countless others at the time.

“The scheme employs boiler-plated historical factoids as a cheap substitute for a careful survey of the period and Cudmore’s place in it, with no attempt made to weigh and consider the nature and causes of the historical trends to which he was exposed and to which he supposedly contributed."...

I hope you have a successful researching and blogging year in 2024

Regards
Anne
https://anneyoungau.wordpress.com/2023/12/15/2023-progress-on-my-family-history/

Alex Daw said...

How much fun to find your blog! Oh I completely agree with you re family history being therapy. I think it is great therapy on so many levels. I've always been interested in the nature/nurture debate and wonder how much of your personality is inherited from family members.

Karen Packard Rhodes said...

@Anne Young: I share your husband's skepticism about AI. I concur in what he said about it. Thank you for reading my blog, and I send your good wishes back, tenfold! Have a good year.

Karen Packard Rhodes said...

@Linda Stufflebeam: I have no idea where the notion arose that my grandmother had been adopted. The DNA picture looks pretty clear, comparing me to other descendants of the Nave family. The centiMorgans are in an acceptable range for the relationships stated. Thank you for reading my blog.