Wednesday, April 10, 2024

A to Z Challenge 2024 - Professionally Speaking - I is for Insurance

One of the occupations my father Arden Packard (1911-1954) pursued after retiring from the Navy at the end of World War II was as an insurance salesman.  He worked for the Angus B. Rosborough agency in Jacksonville, Florida in the early 1950s.  The Rosborough Agency represented Massachusetts Mutual Insurance Company in the Jacksonville area.  

A half-page ad in the 1951 R. L. Polk Jacksonville City Directory answered one question, solving a small mystery for me.  For many years, as a teenager and adult, I had heard my mother and grandmother mention a man of the surname Stoudemire as a family friend.  I had never met this individual; I don't remember him being a guest in our house either before or after my father died in 1954.   But there in the half-page ad in the city directory was the name right below that of my father.

Another insurance salesman -- one who over the years sold policies to my grandmother, my aunt, my mother, myself and my husband, and our daughters -- told me one time that my father had mentored him in insurance sales when he was a young man just starting out in the field.  

But again, as he had so many times before, my father got happy feet and, even having been fairly successful in insurance sales, he wanted to move on to something else, and soon we were on our way to California.  Once again. 

4 comments:

Timothy S. Brannan said...

An excellent little slice-of-life story. I think all our dads had a variety of jobs.
--
Tim Brannan
The Other Side: 2024 A to Z of Dungeons & Dragons.

Molly of Molly's Canopy said...

City directories are fantastic for making connections we might otherwise miss, as your blog post illustrates. Well done!

Molly of Molly's Canopy said...

What a heart-wrenching story -- to lose a son who was just 19. Sadly, there were so many in that same position during WWII.

Jeanne Bryan Insalaco said...

My father also sold insurance after leaving the Navy. I used to take his trinkets he gave away free and old policies and load my wagon up to pull up and down the street in selling. LOL Once I even hid his money I found... finally gave it up when Mama told me that Daddy was going to jail. I'm also writing in the A to Z this year for year no. 9.
https://everyonehasafamilystorytotell.wordpress.com/