Thursday, July 18, 2024

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks - Week 29: Automobiles - The 1951 Packard

This week's blog prompt presented by Amy Johnson Crow, 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks, is "Automobiles."

When I was about four years old, my family all trooped down to the Packard automobile dealership in Pensacola, Florida, where my father bought a brand-new 1951 Packard convertible.  It was turquoise blue, it was large, it was roomy, and it was the last car my father ever bought.  He died in 1954.

The car took us -- my mother, who drove the entire trip, my sister, my brother, myself, and our teenage cousin Rosanna -- from California, where we had been living, to Florida, where mom's mother and sister lived.  Mom needed the support of her family, and wanted to be with them in Florida.  We set out with not only we five humans, but also with my brother's green parakeet, Pete.  Rosanna, about 16 and a great joker, would try to teach the bird, that was not enjoying the trip, to clasp a claw to its forehead and proclaim, "I am not a well bird."  It never sank in to Pete; he was a bird of few words.

My mother had settled everything my father left behind, all the legal and financial fallout of a family member's passing.  She found a new home for our black Cocker Spaniel, Baby, but the man who took her gave me very bad vibes.  Then, as soon as school was out, we embarked upon our journey.  It was not as easy as the trip can be today.  For one thing, the route we took was U.S. 90, which was two lanes, not the four-to-six lane interstate highways we have now.  Rather than zipping along at 65 miles per hour or so, the speed limit was 45.

For another, we had to cross the desert, and the front of the car was decorated with a burlap-covered rubber bag of water decorated with the title Desert Water Bag, in case the radiator overheated.  I remember my brother and sister and me lying on the back seat with our feet out the windows.  We had all the windows down to bring in what breeze was created by the movement of the car.  Cars in those days were not air-conditioned.  We stopped the second night in Phoenix, Arizona, where the temperature that day was 114 degrees F.  The motel room was air-conditioned, fortunately!

In the desert and through much of the southwest, we slept during the day and traveled at night.  In eastern Texas, we passed through some very lonely territory, indeed.  My mother had bought new tires from our neighbor across the street, who ran a tire store.  He swore they were new, but we found out the hard way that they were recaps -- old tires covered with a new tread; he had charged new-car prices for them.  Not a kind thing at all to pull on a new widow.  We saw almost no traffic on U.S. 90 that night, when the car started making a sound that made us think the engine was going to end up on the pavement any minute.  Mom pulled over, shut off the car, and we sat.  Finally, a tanker truck approached, and seeing us sitting on the side of the road, he pulled over and got out to ask us what the problem was.  Mom told him, and that Knight of the Road turned that huge tanker truck around on that two-lane highway with not much shoulder and fences on either side, and headed back to the town of Snyder, Texas, taking time out from his trip to help us.  Finally, a tow truck came and took us into town.

The next day, my mother discovered from the tire man we consulted in Snyder, that the tires were retreads, and that the tread on one of them had come loose and was flapping against the tire well making the Devil's own noise against the metal body of the car.  The rest of the trip passed uneventfully.

The 1951 Packard lasted until the early 1960s.  It took us on many visits to my aunt and uncle in Orlando, and on countless trips to the beach.  One of those trips had consequences for my sister.  She and her high-school best friend were planning on a beach day, and my sister asked Mom for the car.  Mom allowed her to use the car with one strict order: not to take the car onto the beach itself, where salt would attack the undercarriage with corrosion.  A week or two after the beach trip, my sister went to the drug store to pick up her pictures of that day.  In those days, we had to take the film from the camera to a processor -- usually the local pharmacy -- to be developed.  You paid for all the pictures they developed, whether they were any good or not.  My sister was so proud of her pictures, she couldn't wait to show Mom -- but that eagerness got her grounded for something like a month.  There in the pictures was the car . . . sitting right on the salt-filled beach sand.

 
This is a painting I commissioned from a childhood friend, Michael Goettee, who is an accomplished artist specializing in cars and the Southwest.  He has won many awards, and his paintings are in the collections of many galleries across the country.  ('51 Packard, by Michael Goettee)
 



5 comments:

Jennifer Jones said...

Wonderful memories for you here Karen. I enjoyed reading your post and laughed at the thought of your sister's reaction when she looked at the photos.
Jen - https://jonesfamilyhistory.wordpress.com/ #geneabloggers

Diane Henriks said...

Love this story! What a great storyteller you are to have me feel like I was there with just a story about an automobile! Haha, huge oversight on your sister's part! ;) I can't believe someone would swindle a woman, let alone a widow like that!

Jenny said...

Not a car comment, but about getting film developed. I remember so many times waiting for what seemed like forever to get prints back, and how disappointed I was when important ones didn't come out. Like you said, we had to pay for them no matter what!

Great memories for you, thanks for sharing.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Thanks for sharing your automobile story. I really liked it because my grandfather had a 1951 Packard, too, in the same mint green as in the painting you posted. I remember it in the early 1960s as a little girl, and when he traded it in for another mint green car.

Lisa S. Gorrell said...

What a wonderful story of your memory of a car. Thanks for sharing it.