Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Book of Me: What do you look like?

Well, the first thing that pops into the weird brain of this 70-year-old former Coast Guard member is:  What do I look like?  I look like hell, sir!

Today I am not at my best.  2017 beat up on me pretty bad, starting midway, in June, when I fell and broke my shoulder.  And for the past month, I have been through the Battle of the Kidney Stone, which was finally removed 21 December by being blasted apart with a laser, and I won't go into more detail than to say the final step in the healing process for that was taken today.

I am short, 5'4" tall.  I'm not slim, being a sedentary sort and too fond of sweets.  My hair is both grey and going away, as I am subject to the same problem of thinning hair that my mother had, and if I make it to 80 I will be one of those old dames with a few wisps of hair clinging to my pink scalp.  I think I'm going to develop a fondness for hats.

And they do say that married people come to resemble each other after many years of marriage.  We're coming up on 47 years, and my husband is bald as an egg.  I'm headed that way.

I also am not by any stretch of the imagination a fashion plate.  I'm rather a fashion paper towel, really.  Since I was a teen, it has been my deeply-held belief that the fashion industry is nothing more than a plot to separate the gullible from their money.  Since I've never had scads of money, anyway, that was a rational position to take!

My fashion for this morning was long socks (compression socks), blue jeans,  Land's End water-resistant boots, a turtleneck, gloves, my watch cap that proclaims me to be of the House of Hufflepuff, and my Land's End jacket certified for use down to 20 deg. F.  It's cold in northeast Florida today, and wet.  Right now, I'm in blue sweatshirt and sweatpants.  My motto is a paraphrase of the old Ford slogan, as I maintain that Comfort is Job 1.

I'm only beginning to get wrinkles on my face.  I've been mistaken for being 20 years younger than I am, and I maintain that this is the result of my having experimented with make-up in my teen years, like most teenage girls, and having discovered that I was totally and completely inept with it.  I decided it would be better if I left it alone.  It certainly has been better for my skin!  And the money I saved on not buying that stuff left me with the option of being able to buy books instead!  That also worked out for the better.

What do I look like?  Well, here is a photo taken about 10 years ago, when I was a student at the University of North Florida -- I went back to college at age 60, got 2 post-baccalaureate degrees, then went on to grad school.   But that is a story for another day.


3 comments:

The Old Me said...

What an awesome description of yourself Karen. And a lot of laughs along the way :)

Unknown said...

LOVE your humor! since I am a very 'practical [and I did not say cheap!) 80 year old! I love forward to reading more about you. Marie,from Texas.

Karen Packard Rhodes said...

Thank you both! Marie, I'm "practical," too!

Karen