Wednesday, January 31, 2018

#TheBookofMe: What do I want to be doing that I'm not doing now?

That's a big question, and I'm not sure I have much of an answer, as it is something I have not given much thought, mainly because I haven't had the time!

I'm so busy with my historical research into St. Augustine, Florida, between 1784 and 1821, that I don't have time to contemplate the question.  And, honestly, I'm having so much fun with it that I'm not sure there's anything else I'd rather be doing.  The project is a lot of paperwork, but I do not fear paperwork because I was a yeoman in the U.S. Coast Guard.  In fact, the paperwork fears me!

But are there things I regret not having done?

Yes.  I wish I had taped my grandma's stories that she told me.  I wish I had visited a friend when I could have, but didn't.

I wish I had had more of a handle on what to choose as a major the first time I went to college, back in the 1960s.  I wish I had been more assertive when I was younger, and thrown off the traditional expectations of my family back in the 1950s.

And what have I done that I'm glad I did?

I'm glad I went to college in the 1960s, because I have friends from that time that I see every few years, and keep up with in a semi-annual newsletter that we contribute to and that one of our number has been ever-faithful in sending out for the past 52 years!

I'm certainly glad I joined the Coast Guard, when I saw how my Coast Guard officer husband was enjoying it, and doing so many varied and interesting things in it.  I enlisted, and after several years, I got a commission.  I also did varied and interesting things, some of which were way outside of my comfort zone, but which I managed to handle well.  That was a real growth experience!

I'm glad I married the man I married almost 47 years ago (as of the 20th of February).  We've had good times and hard times.  We have two great daughters and a wonderful grandson and the best son-in-law we could have hoped for.  And we've had a lot of laughs.

I'm glad I had those two daughters.  We are very close, and always have had a lot in common.  We enjoy being with each other and we have fun!

 So what do I wish I were doing now?

Well, I'd sure like to go to Suffolk, in England, and research my genealogy on my father's side.  I'd like to go to London, too, not only for family research at their National Archives, but also to do some research on the British period in Florida (1763-1783), in relation to my researches on St. Augustine.  I'd like to visit Ireland and Germany.  I'd like to go back to Spain and see some sights I didn't see last time.  I'd like to go to Canada, where my father's family has roots, and do research there.  There are a number of trips inside the U.S. I'd like to make, and indeed right here in Florida, too.

There.  I answered the question, after all.

No comments: